Cabernet Braised Pot Roast with Mashed Sweet Potatoes
8 -10 ounce beef shoulder
1 cup flour
1/ 4 pound butter
4 teaspoons olive oil
1 medium yellow onion large diced
1 carrot, peeled, medium diced
2 ribs celery, medium diced
2 sprigs thyme
6 bay leaves
2 tablespoons chopped garlic
2 cups Cabernet or other red wine
6 cups beef stock
8 Roma tomatoes, quartered
1. Lightly dredge the beef in the flour and set aside.
2. In a skillet, heat the butter till it begins to brown, and then sear the beef for 5 minutes on each side, remove from the pan and pat dry.
3. In a braising pan, heat the olive oil and sauté the carrot, celery, onion, thyme, bay leaves, and garlic till softened. Add the red wine and let simmer for 10 minutes.
4. Place the browned beef in the pan and add the beef stock and the tomatoes.
5. Cover the pan with foil and bake at 325 degrees for approximately 3 hours, until the meat is almost falling of the bones, Remove the beef from the pan and set aside.
6. Puree the vegetables and juice; strain, season with salt and pepper and pour over the beef when serving.
Mashed Sweet Potatoes
5 large sweet potatoes peeled and cut into large dice
1 onion, diced large
2 cloves garlic, chopped
6 tablespoons butter
¾ cup half-and-half
salt and black pepper to taste
1. In a large pot boil sweet potatoes in salted water until fork tender. Drain.
2. Meanwhile caramelize onions in butter to dark golden brown (about 15 minutes).
3. Add garlic and sauté 2 minutes longer.
4. Add onion mixture and half-and-half to drained sweet potatoes. Mash.
5. Adjust seasoning to taste. Serve hot.